President & CEO,
The Center for Pain Relief
Timothy R. Deer, MD, DABPM is a clinical professor of anesthesiology at the West Virginia University School of Medicine, where he also received his medical degree. He completed his training in anesthesiology and pain medicine at the University of Virginia.
Dr. Deer has published on a range of topics, including injection techniques, minimally invasive disc procedures, intrathecal drug delivery, and spinal cord and peripheral nerve stimulation. He lectures at many national and international symposiums and has been involved in the hands-on training of more than a thousand interventional pain specialists. He serves on the board of directors of the North American Neuromodulation Society and American Academy of Pain Medicine. He is a past chair of the committee on pain medicine of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, a member of the editorial board of the journal Neuromodulation, president of the West Virginia Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, and serves on several other boards and committees.
Dr. Deer has authored numerous journal articles, chapters, and review articles.
Sessions at Neurovations Events
2011 Napa Pain Conference
- Cancer in Remission: New Technology for Treating Chronic Pain
2010 Napa Pain Conference
- Panel Discussion – Primary Care Collaborations From Identifying Prospective
- Intrathecal Infusion for Non-Cancer Pain: Concepts and Current Guidelines
2009 Napa Pain Conference
- Complications of Spinal Cord Stimulation
- PNS: What is the Best Way to Get a Good Outcome?
- Intrathecal Drug Delivery
- Boswell, M. V., Trescot, A. M., Datta, S., Schultz, D. M., Hansen, H. C., Abdi, S., … & Patel, V. B. (2007). Interventional techniques: evidence-based practice guidelines in the management of chronic spinal pain. Pain physician, 10(1), 7-111.
- Smith, T. J., Staats, P. S., Deer, T., Stearns, L. J., Rauck, R. L., Boortz-Marx, R. L., … & Pool, G. E. (2002). Randomized clinical trial of an implantable drug delivery system compared with comprehensive medical management for refractory cancer pain: impact on pain, drug-related toxicity, and survival. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 20(19), 4040-4049.
- Manchikanti, L., Abdi, S., Atluri, S., Balog, C. C., Benyamin, R. M., Boswell, M. V., … & Burton, A. W. (2012). American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) guidelines for responsible opioid prescribing in chronic non-cancer pain: Part 2–guidance. Pain physician, 15(3 Suppl).
- Manchikanti, L., Abdi, S., Atluri, S., Benyamin, R. M., Boswell, M. V., Buenaventura, R. M., … & Cash, K. A. (2013). An update of comprehensive evidence-based guidelines for interventional techniques in chronic spinal pain. Part II: guidance and recommendations. Pain physician, 16(2 Suppl), S49-283.
- Silberstein, S. D., Dodick, D. W., Saper, J., Huh, B., Slavin, K. V., Sharan, A., … & Trentman, T. (2012). Safety and efficacy of peripheral nerve stimulation of the occipital nerves for the management of chronic migraine: results from a randomized, multicenter, double-blinded, controlled study. Cephalalgia, 32(16), 1165-1179.
- Trescot, A. M., Boswell, M. V., Atluri, S. L., Hansen, H. C., Deer, T. R., Abdi, S., … & Cicala, R. S. (2006). Opioid guidelines in the management of chronic non-cancer pain. Pain Physician, 9(1), 1.
- Boswell, M. V., Shah, R. V., Everett, C. R., Sehgal, N., Mckenzie-Brown, A. M., Abdi, S., … & Spillane, W. F. (2005). Interventional techniques in the management of chronic spinal pain: evidence-based practice guidelines. Pain physician, 8(1), 1-47.
- Narouze, S., Benzon, H. T., Provenzano, D. A., Buvanendran, A., De Andres, J., Deer, T. R., … & Huntoon, M. A. (2015). Interventional spine and pain procedures in patients on antiplatelet and anticoagulant medications: guidelines from the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, the European Society of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Therapy, the American Academy of pain Medicine, the international Neuromodulation Society, the north American Neuromodulation Society, and the world Institute of Pain. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine, 40(3), 182-212.
- Hassenbusch, S. J., Portenoy, R. K., Cousins, M., Buchser, E., Deer, T. R., Du Pen, S. L., … & Levy, R. M. (2004). Polyanalgesic Consensus Conference 2003: an update on the management of pain by intraspinal drug delivery—report of an expert panel. Journal of pain and symptom management, 27(6), 540-563.