Shalini Shah, MD, Associate Professor is Vice-Chair for the Department of Anesthesiology & Peri-operative Care and Enterprise Director of Pain Services for University of California Irvine Health. Dr. Shah completed her residency in anesthesiology from Cornell University and a combined fellowship in adult and pediatric chronic pain at Harvard Medical School. She is the founder of the Pediatric Pain Program at UC Irvine and has previously served as Associate Program Director for the Pain medicine fellowship. Dr. Shah is the recipient of the ASRA Chronic Pain Grant Award in 2017 for her landmark work in onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®) use in pediatric migraine pain. She has been featured in Time Magazine, The Doctors, NBC Nightly News, Business Insider and is a frequent guest on NPR on the topic of safe pain care options. Dr. Shah is an international invited lecturer and leads several industry and peer-reviewed NIH funded clinical trials in pediatric and adult pain medicine.
Dr. Shah currently serves as the Founding Chair, Committee of Pain Medicine at the California Society of Anesthesiologists (CSA) and President-Elect, CA Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (CALSIPP). Dr. Shah is strongly committed to pain advocacy and healthcare regulatory reform both in the state of California and nationally to improve healthcare experiences for patients. She is currently pursuing her MBA from UCLA Anderson School of Management.
- American Society of Regional Anesthesiologist and Pain Medicine- Chronic Pain Grant 2017
- NIH- U19 BACPAC Site PI Award
- NIH U24 EPICC-Net/Heal Initiative U24 Site PI Award
- Shah, S., Calderon, M.D., Wu, W.D., Grant, J. and Rinehart, J., 2018. Onabotulinumtoxin A (BOTOX®) for prophylactic treatment of pediatric migraine: a retrospective longitudinal analysis. Journal of child neurology, 33(9), pp.580-586
- Manchikanti, L., Kaye, A.D., Soin, A., Albers, S.L., Beall, D., Latchaw, R., Sanapati, M.R., Shah, S., Atluri, S., Abd-Elsayed, A. and Abdi, S., 2020. Comprehensive Evidence-Based Guidelines for Facet Joint Interventions in the Management of Chronic Spinal Pain: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) Guidelines Facet Joint Interventions 2020 Guidelines. Pain Physician, 23(3S), pp.S1-S127.
- Shah, S., Diwan, S., Soin, A., Rajput, K., Mahajan, A., Manchikanti, L., Kaye, A.D., Hirsch, J.A. and Gharibo, C., 2020. Evidence-Based Risk Mitigation and Stratification During COVID-19 for Return to Interventional Pain Practice: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) Guidelines. Pain physician, 23(4S), pp.S161-S182
- Shalini Shah, M., Sudhir Diwan, M.D., Lynn Kohan, M.D., David Rosenblum, M.D., Christopher Gharibo, M.D., Amol Soin, M.D. and Adrian Sulindro, M.D., 2020. The technological impact of COVID-19 on the future of education and health care delivery. Pain physician, 23, pp.S367-S380.
- S. Jha, S. Shah, MD Calderon, A. Soin, M.D. and L Manchikanti, M.D., 2020. The effect of COVID-19 on interventional pain management practices: A physician burnout survey. Pain physician, 23, pp.S271-S282
- Knezevic, N.N., Manchikanti, L., Urits, I., Orhurhu, V., Vangala, B.P., Vanaparthy, R., Sanapati, M.R., Shah, S., Soin, A., Mahajan, A. and Atluri, S., 2020. Lack of superiority of epidural injections with lidocaine with steroids compared to without steroids in spinal pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain physician, 23(4S), pp.S239-S270
- Shah, S., Calderon, M.D., Crain, N., Pham, J. and Rinehart, J., 2020. Effectiveness of onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX) in pediatric patients experiencing migraines: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled crossover study in the pediatric pain population. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine.
- Laxmaiah Manchikanti, Radomir Kosanovic, Rachana Vanaparthy, Brahma Vangala, Amol Soin, Harsh Sachdeva, Shalini Shah, Nebojsa Knezevic, Joshua Hirsch. “Steroid distancing in interventional pain management during COVID-19 and beyond: Safe, effective and practical approach.” Pain Physician 23 (2020): S319-S350.
- Gharibo, C., Sharma, A., Soin, A., Shah, S., Diwan, S., Buenaventura, R., Nampiaparampil, D.E., Aydin, S., Bakshi, S., Abdi, S. and Jha, S.S., 2020. Triaging Interventional Pain Procedures During COVID-19 or Related Elective Surgery Restrictions: Evidence-Informed Guidance from the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP). Pain Physician, pp.S183-204.