Director of Pain Management,
Scripps Center For Integrative Medicine
Academy of Integrative Pain Management
Assistant Clinical Professor,
University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine
Robert Bonakdar, MD, FAAFP, FACN, DAAPM, is board certified by the American Board of Family Practice. He is a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), the California Academy of Family Physicians (CAFP), the American Holistic Medical Association, and the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture. He has conducted award-winning research and presented at numerous conferences in the area of herbal and natural medicines.
Dr. Bonakdar received his medical degree from the University of Nevada School of Medicine and his undergraduate degree in psychobiology from Occidental College in Los Angeles. He received the Richter Fellowship for Independent International Research in the field of Southeast Asian heath practices and studied in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China, and Indonesia. He completed a clinical and research fellowship in integrative medicine at Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine in La Jolla and a residency in family practice at the Sharp Grossmont Family Practice Residency Program in San Diego.
He is the co-editor of the textbook of Integrative Pain Management (Oxford University Press 2016), the author of the H.E.R.B.A.L. Guide: Dietary Supplement Resources for the Clinician. (Lippincott, 2010) and contributing author for Integrative Medicine 4th Edition (ed. David Rakel MD) (Elsevier, 2017)
Sessions at Neurovations Events
- Nutritional Pain Management for Optimizing the Management of Headache and Neuropathy
- The ACP Chronic LBP Guidelines: What to Know & How to Incorporate Them
2018 Napa Pain Conference
- Mindfulness as a Neuromodulation Therapy
- An Evidence-based Approach to Integrative Medicine for Chronic Pain Management
- Bonakdar, R. A., & Sukiennik, A. W. (Eds.). (2016). Integrative pain management. Oxford University Press.
- Bonakdar, R. A., Christo, P. J., & Clark, M. R. (2013). Obesity related pain: Time for a new approach that targets systemic inflammation. J Fam Pract, 62, 22-28.
- Tick, H., Nielsen, A., Pelletier, K. R., Bonakdar, R., Simmons, S., Glick, R., … & Zador, V. (2018). Evidence-based nonpharmacologic strategies for comprehensive pain care: The Consortium Pain Task Force white paper. Explore, 14(3), 177-211.
- Gardiner, P., Filippelli, A. C., Lebensohn, P., & Bonakdar, R. (2015). The incorporation of stress management programming into family medicine residencies-results of a national survey of residency directors: a CERA study.