Carl E. Wasmuth M.D. Endowed Chair in Anesthesiology, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine
Director of Evidence-Based Pain Medicine Research and Education, Department of Pain Management,
Past Director & Chairman (1997 – 2010),
Department of Pain Management at Cleveland Clinic
Nagy Mekhail, MD, PhD has published more than 163 original articles, he has instructed at more than 202 CME lectures and 202 lectures as a visiting professor.
Dr. Mekhail has served leadership positions of professional organizations; as a member of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Examination Board of the World Institute of Pain, a member of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine Research Committee, as well as a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists Pain Committee.
Dr. Mekhail served as the Director and Chairman of the Department of Pain Management at Cleveland Clinic from 1997-2010. In 2010, Dr. Mekhail was awarded the Carl E. Wasmuth M.D. Endowed Chair in Anesthesiology, and recognized by the Ohio Society of Interventional Pain Physicians as the 1st recipient of its achievement award. He was also recognized by the West Virginia Society of Interventional Pain Physicians in 2011 and the New York and New Jersey Interventional Pain Physicians in 2016. He is also the 2019 John J. Bonica award by the ASRA board of directors.
Dr. Mekhail earned several degrees at the University of Ain Shams School of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt; Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery with Honors, Master of Science (Anatomy) and Doctor of Philosophy. His internship in Internal Medicine, Residency in Anesthesiology, and Fellowship in Pain Management/Neuroanesthesia were completed at the Cleveland Clinic.
Sessions at Neurovations Events
2012 Napa Pain Conference
- Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression: A Panel Discussion
- Intradiscal Procedures: Past Failures and Future Directions
- Silberstein, S. D., Dodick, D. W., Saper, J., Huh, B., Slavin, K. V., Sharan, A., … & Trentman, T. (2012). Safety and efficacy of peripheral nerve stimulation of the occipital nerves for the management of chronic migraine: results from a randomized, multicenter, double-blinded, controlled study. Cephalalgia, 32(16), 1165-1179.
- Deer, T., Krames, E. S., Hassenbusch, S. J., Burton, A., Caraway, D., Dupen, S., … & Levy, R. (2007). Polyanalgesic consensus conference 2007: recommendations for the management of pain by intrathecal (intraspinal) drug delivery: report of an interdisciplinary expert panel. Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface, 10(4), 300-328.
- Mekhail, N. A., Mathews, M., Nageeb, F., Guirguis, M., Mekhail, M. N., & Cheng, J. (2011). Retrospective review of 707 cases of spinal cord stimulation: indications and complications. Pain Practice, 11(2), 148-153.
- Deer, T. R., Levy, R. M., Kramer, J., Poree, L., Amirdelfan, K., Grigsby, E., … & Scowcroft, J. (2017). Dorsal root ganglion stimulation yielded higher treatment success rate for complex regional pain syndrome and causalgia at 3 and 12 months: a randomized comparative trial. Pain, 158(4), 669.
- Deer, T. R., Mekhail, N., Provenzano, D., Pope, J., Krames, E., Leong, M., … & Buvanendran, A. (2014). The Appropriate Use of Neurostimulation of the Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nervous System for the Treatment of Chronic Pain and Ischemic Diseases: The Neuromodulation Appropriateness Consensus Committee. Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface, 17(6), 515-550.
- Narouze, S., Kapural, L., Casanova, J., & Mekhail, N. (2009). Sphenopalatine ganglion radiofrequency ablation for the management of chronic cluster headache. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 49(4), 571-577.
- Kallewaard, J. W., Terheggen, M. A., Groen, G. J., Sluijter, M. E., Derby, R., Kapural, L., … & Van Kleef, M. (2010). 15. Discogenic low back pain. Pain Practice, 10(6), 560-579.
- Deer, T. R., Prager, J., Levy, R., Rathmell, J., Buchser, E., Burton, A., … & Erdek, M. (2012). Polyanalgesic Consensus Conference 2012: recommendations for the management of pain by intrathecal (intraspinal) drug delivery: report of an interdisciplinary expert panel. Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface, 15(5), 436-466.
- Van Boxem, K., Cheng, J., Patijn, J., Van Kleef, M., Lataster, A., Mekhail, N., & Van Zundert, J. (2010). 11. Lumbosacral radicular pain. Pain Practice, 10(4), 339-358.
- Deer, T. R., Pope, J. E., Hayek, S. M., Bux, A., Buchser, E., Eldabe, S., … & Doleys, D. M. (2017). The Polyanalgesic Consensus Conference (PACC): recommendations on intrathecal drug infusion systems best practices and guidelines. Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface, 20(2), 96-132.
- McLain, R. F., Kapural, L., & Mekhail, N. A. (2005). Epidural steroid therapy for back and leg pain: mechanisms of action and efficacy. The Spine Journal, 5(2), 191-201.