Interventional Pain Physician
Dr. Johansson comes to us as a fellowship-trained and board-certified pain management specialist with nearly a decade of experience. She completed her fellowship training at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, MD where she then became the associate program director of the pain medicine fellowship and an assistant professor of military and emergency medicine. She graduated from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine in Richmond, Virginia, was Pre-medicine at San Diego State University, and received her BSN from Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Her breadth of experience comes from a full career of serving in the United States Navy where she was the recipient of multiple academic and military service awards including a Meritorious Service Medal, three Navy Commendation Medals, and numerous other individual, unit, and campaign awards. She has multiple published works and is the founding member of a military Pain Medicine Special Interest Group with the America Society of Regional Anesthesia.
Licenses and Certifications
- Board Certification in Pain Management
- American Board of Emergency Medicine, 10/2020
- Board Certification in Emergency Medicine
- American Board of Emergency Medicine, 06/2012, renewed 2022 expired 6/2032
- Basic Life Support (BLS) | Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) | Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- American Heart Association, Expires 2022
Faculty of the Quarter 1st Academic Quarter, Naval Hospital Bremerton
· Emergency Medicine Clinical Excellence Award, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
· Health Professionals Scholarship Program – Medical School Scholarship
·Student Leadership Award – Marquette University
· ROTC Nursing Program Scholarship
·Emergency Medicine Corpsman of the Year – Naval Medical Center, San Diego
Military Service Awards
·Meritorious Service Medal
·Navy Commendation Medal (3)
·Navy Achievement Medal
·Meritorious Unit Commendation Medal, Global War on Terrorism, Afghan Campaign Medal, NATO Non-Article 5 ISAF Medal, National Defense Medal (2), Sea Service Ribbon, Over Seas Service Ribbon (4), Pistol Marksman Medal, Rifle Marksman Medal
- VA and DoD Management of Opioids for Chronic Pain Evidence Based Clinical Practice Guideline, working group co-chair, pending publication
- Journal of Emergency Medicine 2020 Feb; 58(2):97-98. Laryngeal Fracture After a Stifled Sneeze: A Case Report. Byrne, Brendan MD, Timman, Ryan MD, Johansson, Melanie MD. PMCID: PMC2037613 DOI: 10.1136/bmj.1.4661.1052
- Annals of Emergency Medicine 1996 Jun;27(6):693-5. Reliability of subjective fever in triage of adult patients. Buckley, Robert MD, et al. PMID: 8644954 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-0644(96)70185-3
- Forward Surgical Care – Successful use of stent retriever thrombectomy for acute stroke in a combat hospital in Afghanistan, second author. Pending Publication
- Unusual Cause of Mastodynia- a case report, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, last author. Pending Publication
- Pre-Fellowship Interventional Pain Medicine Training. Abili, O, Spevak, C, Johansson, M, Osik, A. Poster presentation, American Society of Regional Anesthesia. November 2021.
- Epidural hematoma after cervical epidural steroid injection in a patient on vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids supplements. Laudie, M, Johansson, M. Poster presentation at the American Society of Regional Anesthesia. November 2021.
- Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulators at Military Treatment Centers: Self-reported Opioid Use and Disability at three-month Follow-up. Kim, G., Kurihara, C., Park, E., Johansson, M., Spevak, C., Reece, D., Wandner, L. Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Meeting; February 9-13, 2021; Virtual Meeting.
- Auricular Acupuncture: Five Lessons learned From the US Military in Afghanistan- Implications for Civilian Care. Poster presentation at the American Society of Regional Anesthesia. November 2019
- Pain Management – Auricular Acupuncture in Deployed Military Forces, a Case Series 2017 Military Health System Research Symposium (MHSRS) Poster August 2017
- Forward Surgical Care – Successful use of stent retriever thrombectomy for acute stroke in a combat hospital in Afghanistan 2017 Military Health System Research Symposium (MHSRS) Poster August 2017