Edward Lowenstein Distinguished Professor of Anaesthesia, Harvard Medical School
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Carol Anastasia Warfield, MD graduated from Tufts Medical School and trained in anesthesiology and pain medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital and Beth Israel Hospital in Boston.
She has been on the faculty of Harvard Medical School for over 30 years and is currently the Lowenstein Distinguished Professor of Anesthesia. She is the first woman at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center to hold an endowed chair at Harvard and served as Director of the Pain Management Center for 20 years and as Chairman of the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine for 7 years.
Dr. Warfield has published over 100 articles and several books on the topic of pain medicine, has lectured extensively both nationally and internationally and has served on the boards of many professional societies related to pain medicine.
- Warfield, C., & Kahn, C. (1995). Acute Pain Management Programs in US Hospitals and Experiences and Attitudes among US Adults. Anesthesiology: The Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, 83(5), 1090-1094.
- Lewinnek, G. E., & Warfield, C. A. (1986). Facet joint degeneration as a cause of low back pain. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, (213), 216-222.
- Bajwa, Z. H., Gupta, S., Warfield, C. A., & Steinman, T. I. (2001). Pain management in polycystic kidney disease. Kidney International, 60(5), 1631-1644.
- Horlocker, T. T., Bajwa, Z. H., Ashraf, Z., Khan, S., Wilson, J. L., Sami, N., … & Warfield, C. A. (2002). Risk assessment of hemorrhagic complications associated with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications in ambulatory pain clinic patients undergoing epidural steroid injection. Anesthesia & Analgesia, 95(6), 1691-1697.
- Richeimer, S. H., Bajwa, Z. H., Kahraman, S. S., Ransil, B. J., & Warfield, C. A. (1997). Utilization patterns of tricyclic antidepressants in a multidisciplinary pain clinic: a survey. The Clinical Journal of Pain, 13(4), 324-329.
- Warfield, C. A., Stein, J. M., & Frank, H. A. (1985). The effect of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on pain after thoracotomy. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 39(5), 462-465.
- Bajwa, Z. H., Sami, N., Warfield, C. A., & Wootton, J. (1999). Topiramate relieves refractory intercostal neuralgia. Neurology, 52(9), 1917-1917.