- This event has passed.
Perioperative management of patients who have been exposed to long-term opioids, whether of therapeutic or recreational origin, is challenging
Enhanced Recovery After Surgery: Surgical requirements & mitigating increased cytokines from surgery
Timothy Lubenow, MD
State of Opioid Use in Perioperative Pain Management
Christopher Gharibo, MD
- Buvanendran, A., Kroin, J. S., Tuman, K. J., Lubenow, T. R., Elmofty, D., Moric, M., & Rosenberg, A. G. (2003). Effects of perioperative administration of a selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitor on pain management and recovery of function after knee replacement: a randomized controlled trial. Jama, 290(18), 2411-2418.
- Sun, E. C., Darnall, B. D., Baker, L. C., & Mackey, S. (2016). Incidence of and risk factors for chronic opioid use among opioid-naive patients in the postoperative period. JAMA internal medicine, 176(9), 1286-1293.
- Coluzzi, F., Bifulco, F., Cuomo, A., Dauri, M., Leonardi, C., Melotti, R. M., … & Corcione, A. (2017). The challenge of perioperative pain management in opioid-tolerant patients. Therapeutics and clinical risk management, 13, 1163.
- Chou, R., Gordon, D. B., de Leon-Casasola, O. A., Rosenberg, J. M., Bickler, S., Brennan, T., … & Griffith, S. (2016). Management of Postoperative Pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American pain society, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ committee on regional anesthesia, executive committee, and administrative council. The Journal of Pain, 17(2), 131-157.
- Cook, C. E., Rhon, D. I., Lewis, B. D., & George, S. Z. (2017). Post-operative opioid pain management patterns for patients who receive hip surgery. Substance abuse treatment, prevention, and policy, 12(1), 14.