- This event has passed.
Understanding and Addressing the Pain Experience
Learn to identify the cognitive neurological processes that modulate pain, how to identify the right treatment pathway for each patient, and to assess and manage amputation-related pain.
This session sets a foundation for the rest of the conference. Attendees questioning which breakouts to attend should begin here.
The Constellation & Interaction of Neural Networks that Contribute to & Modulate the Experience of Pain
Fadel Zeidan, PhD
Indications & Contraindications for Medical, Interventional & Surgical Treatments
Charles De Mesa, DO, MPH
Corey W. Hunter, MD
- Kuner, R., & Flor, H. (2017). Structural plasticity and reorganisation in chronic painNature Reviews Neuroscience, 18(1), 20.
- Breivik, H., Borchgrevink, P. C., Allen, S. M., Rosseland, L. A., Romundstad, L., Breivik Hals, E. K., … & Stubhaug, A. (2008). Assessment of pain. BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, 101(1), 17-24.
- Wells, N., Pasero, C., & McCaffery, M. (2008). Improving the quality of care through pain assessment and management. In Patient safety and quality: An evidence-based handbook for nurses. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US).
- Haanpää, M., Attal, N., Backonja, M., Baron, R., Bennett, M., Bouhassira, D., … & Jensen, T. S. (2011). NeuPSIG guidelines on neuropathic pain assessment. PAIN®, 152(1), 14-27.
- Emerson, N. M., Zeidan, F., Lobanov, O. V., Hadsel, M. S., Martucci, K. T., Quevedo, A. S., … & Yarnitsky, D. (2014). Pain sensitivity is inversely related to regional grey matter density in the brain. PAIN®, 155(3), 566-573.
- Garland, E. L., Froeliger, B., Zeidan, F., Partin, K., & Howard, M. O. (2013). The downward spiral of chronic pain, prescription opioid misuse, and addiction: cognitive, affective, and neuropsychopharmacologic pathways. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 37(10), 2597-2607.