Anesthesiologist & Interventional Pain Specialist, Texas Spine & Joint Hospital
Board of Directors, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP)
Board of Directors, Spine Intervention Society (SIS)
Past President, ASIPP
Past President, Texas Pain Society
Aaron K. Calodney, MD is board certified in Anesthesiology and carries subspecialty certification in Pain Management through the American Board of Anesthesiology. He earned his medical degree from the University of Missouri School of Medicine and completed a family medicine internship at St Joseph’s Hospital in Syracuse, New York. His residency in anesthesiology and subsequent interventional pain management fellowship was completed at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. He subsequently completed a fellowship in pediatric anesthesia at the Denver Children’s Hospital.
With particular interest in Spine and special interests including Neuromodulation and Intrathecal Drug Delivery, Biological treatment of the painful degenerative disc, Peripheral nerve injury, and Radiofrequency ablation, Dr. Calodney has presented and published many articles and textbook chapters. He is actively involved in clinical research and has delivered over 250 invited lectures in the US and abroad.
Dr. Calodney is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and many other professional societies.
He is an author of the first Evidenced Based Treatment Guidelines in Interventional Pain and Evidenced Based Guidelines for the Use of Opioids published in the Pain Physician journal and on the National Guideline Clearinghouse. Dr. Calodney previously was appointed by the governor of Texas to serve on the Advisory Committee on the Regulation of Controlled Substances Act.
Recent Sessions at Neurovations Events
2017 Kaua’i Pain Conference
- Where Minimally Invasive Procedures Fall Within Diagnostic & Treatment Algorithms
- High Density Stimulation
2017 Napa Pain Conference
- Radiofrequency Treatment of Spine & Musculoskeletal Pain: Basic Principles & Clinical Applications
- Regenerative Medicine Pre-Conference Workshop
- Trescot, A. M., Boswell, M. V., Atluri, S. L., Hansen, H. C., Deer, T. R., Abdi, S., … & Cicala, R. S. (2006). Opioid guidelines in the management of chronic non-cancer pain. Pain Physician, 9(1), 1.
- Manchikanti, L., Abdi, S., Atluri, S., Benyamin, R. M., Boswell, M. V., Buenaventura, R. M., … & Cash, K. A. (2013). An update of comprehensive evidence-based guidelines for interventional techniques in chronic spinal pain. Part II: guidance and recommendations. Pain physician, 16(2 Suppl), S49-283.
- Manchikanti, L., Staats, P. S., Singh, V., Schultz, D. M., Vilims, B. D., Jasper, J. F., … & Racz, G. B. (2003). Evidence-based practice guidelines for interventional techniques in the management of chronic spinal pain. Pain Physician, 6(1), 3-81.
- Manchikanti, L., Abdi, S., Atluri, S., Balog, C. C., Benyamin, R. M., Boswell, M. V., … & Burton, A. W. (2012). American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) guidelines for responsible opioid prescribing in chronic non-cancer pain: Part I–evidence assessment. Pain Physician, 15(3 Suppl), S1-65.
- Manchikanti, L., Benyamin, R. M., Singh, V., Falco, F. J., Hameed, H., Derby, R., … & Snook, L. T. (2013). An update of the systematic appraisal of the accuracy and utility of lumbar discography in chronic low back pain. Pain Physician, 16(2 Suppl), SE55-95.
- Datta, S., Manchikanti, L., Falco, F. J., Calodney, A. K., Atluri, S., Benyamin, R. M., … & Cohen, S. P. (2013). Diagnostic utility of selective nerve root blocks in the diagnosis of lumbosacral radicular pain: systematic review and update of current evidence. Pain Physician, 16(2 Suppl), SE97-124.