Speaker: Warren M. Zapol, MD
Director, Anesthesia Center for Critical Care Research and emeritus Anesthetist-in-Chief, Massachusetts General Hospital; Reginald Jenney Professor of Anaesthesia, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Zapol is an anesthesiologists and critical care research director at Massachusetts General Hospital, and founder of the professorship at MIT’s new Institute for Medical Engineering and Science. He has published over 380 journal articles and been cited more than 18,000 times.
Dr. Zapol is noted for saving thousands of hypoxic infants with his innovative treatment using nitric oxide and has received 13 U.S. patents related to his research on nitric oxide. In 2008, he was appointed by President George W. Bush and reappointed in 2012 by President Barack Obama as an academic representative to the U.S. Arctic Research Commission.
Following several expeditions to Antarctica, MIT Technology Review dubbed Dr. Zapol “Dr. Adventure,” and the United States Board on Geographic Names officially named a glacier in Antarctica after him.
Admission to the Lindahl Lecture is FREE for attendees of the Napa Pain Conference, and for all currently registered students and faculty of any academic institution.
- Zapol, W.M., Snider, M.T., Hill, J.D., Fallat, R.J., Bartlett, R.H., Edmunds, L.H., Morris, A.H., Peirce, E.C., Thomas, A.N., Proctor, H.J. and Drinker, P.A., 1979. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in severe acute respiratory failure: a randomized prospective study. JAMA, 242(20), pp.2193-2196.
- Lemaire, F., Teboul, J.L., Cinotti, L., Giotto, G., Abrouk, F., Steg, G., Macquin-Mavier, I. and Zapol, W.M., 1988. Acute left ventricular dysfunction during unsuccessful weaning from mechanical ventilation. Anesthesiology, 69(2), pp.171-179.
- Frostell, C., Fratacci, M.D., Wain, J.C., Jones, R. and Zapol, W.M., 1991. Inhaled nitric oxide. A selective pulmonary vasodilator reversing hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction. Circulation, 83(6), pp.2038-2047.
- Steudel, W., Hurford, W.E. and Zapol, W.M., 1999. Inhaled Nitric Oxide Basic Biology and Clinical Applications. Anesthesiology: The Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, 91(4), pp.1090-1090.
- Kitch, B.T., Cooper, J.B., Zapol, W.M., Hutter, M.M., Marder, J., Karson, A. and Campbell, E.G., 2008. Handoffs causing patient harm: a survey of medical and surgical house staff. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 34(10), pp.563-570d.
August 19 @ 08:45
– 10:00 am